Friday 9 July 2010

Loud and proud

Well last Saturday was London Pride and for once the weather was on our side, it was a baking hot day. As mentioned I'd been approach to be on the work LGBT support group float, whose theme was Moulin Rouge.


I turned up at the hotel they were all staying at around 10am and was told my outfit was a red t-shirt with the LGBT groups name on it and a top hat. We then headed up to Baker Street where all the floats were being decorated and sound systems tested. We set off about 1.30pm and the parade was amazing. Basically I was on a float and danced and waved for two and a half hours. I felt like a star and the support from the crowd was great, plus we had a fab DJ on our float so the music was uplifting. I actually had a soar throat from singing so much after the march.  But my spirits were lifted by the fact that gay people come in all shapes, size, beliefs but all were happy and proud.


After the parade I headed up to Trafalgar Square and hooked up with the accountant, who is a London Pride director so I got a backstage pass. There wasn't any major celebrities performing but I had access to free booze and got to stand right in front of the stage. I think the only major stars there were singer / DJ Sonique, Kim Mazelle and the Freemasons.


There was a post party at Soho house, London Pride had secured the roof bar and the floor beneath for a party. Soho house is lovely and I ended up speaking to Alan Carr, plus a guy who was his double. It was really nice to look over the balcony on the roof bar and see Compton Street rammed packed with gay revellers.


After Soho House we went up to the official London Pride after party which was at Koko in Camden. Once again I had VIP access and thanks to a little Columbian marching powder and alcohol I was full of beans. I spent the evening with accountant and the pride crew. By 2am on the dance floor I had my top off and was dancing with my hard pecs and new stomach on show. I got loads of attention, especially from the PR rep from Coke and his boyfriend.


At 4am I ended up going back with the accountant to his flat and slept with him for the first time. God it was great and well worth the wait. It was a great end to an even greater day and night.