Tuesday 29 June 2010

Tick tock..times up

Last week I tried speed dating, the awkward part was I did it with my ex. It was all part of me trying to get him to be more social. I guess I’ve felt a little guilty that I’ve taken to being single like a duck to water and my ex has been a bit slow on the up take, so speed dating seemed like the perfect opportunity to meet a lot of single guys.


The event was run by Village Drinks, who are a social networking site for gay professionals and there were 50 single guy’s at this event. As my ex and I were early we managed to secure places sitting down rather than one of the people who move from table to table.


Neither of us had been speed dating before so didn’t really know what to expect. Firstly three minutes was hardly enough time to chat to anyone and decide whether you want to see them again, there was far too much paper work to do within that time and all in all I felt like I was Alan Sugar interviewing for possible dates.


There was a good array of vocations ranging from HR, self employed, bankers and fund raisers and I found that as the night went on, the more wine I drank the more open I was to ticking the yes box for further dates. I also neglected to tell my potential dates I was here with my ex, which in one case had funny repercussion for one suitor.


Basically the way it was set up meant that after I had seen a guy they went to the next table which my ex sat at. One guy complained to my ex that I had talked about myself for the whole 3 minutes. My ex told him we were friends and the guy was highly embarrassed, then we both marked him down as a no.


It was an enjoyable night and we both had a good laugh, the following day we got our results back and only one person wanted to date my ex, while I had four interested guys. I’ve already arranged dates with two of them for this week so watch this space for an update.